10 September 2010

Pear sauce recipe.

I prepare my pear sauce in a crockpot, same as I do my apple sauce and apple butter. It just seems to turn out better in the crockpot! Here is my recipe I use:

9 pounds pears -- peeled, cored and sliced
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar (I use brown sugar)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon - (to 2) -- (optional)
1 tsp allspice (optional)

Combine pears, water, sugar and lemon juice in a crockpot. Place crockpot on low setting and cover. Stir every hour to judge thickness. When the sauce is thickened to what you prefer add cinnamon and allspice. Stir well. If sauce is too chunky put it thru a food mill.

Fill prepared hot jars with hot pear sauce, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Gently run a narrow nonmetallic spatula between sauce and jars to release air bubbles. Wipe rims clean; top with hot lids, then firmly screw on bands.

Process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes for pints, 30 minutes for quarts.

This recipe yields 4 pints or 2 quarts

No comments:

Post a Comment