10 September 2010

Creole Red Beans and rice recipe.

I make red beans and rice mainly on Mondays as a no meat monday thing, but sometimes I just gotta have it on other days! I can this delicious southern treat so I can open a jar and savor the flavor anytime I want. I'm sharing my recipe today for those who love the cajun/creole fare as much as I do.



Crockpot Creole Red Beans


(4-5 qt) crock pot:

1 bag red beans
1 med onion, chopped
2-3 stalks celery, sliced
1 small green pepper, chopped
1-2 Tbsp zatarians seasoning (or more to taste) *
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 can diced tomatoes (or one pint)
2-3 chicken flavoring cubes

Rinse and sort beans, place in crock and
cover with warm water (about 3-4 quarts). Turn crock on high. Add remaining ingredients and cover.

Cook on high about 8 hours. Lower temp to low setting and add any meat like chicken, sausage or seafood if desired.

Serve hot over bowls of rice.

*I found 1 1/2 Tbsp to be about right.

To Can: Place bean mixture from crockpot in hot canning jars, (just ladle it in with plenty of broth)  and leaving about 1 inch headspace, wipe rims and place lids and rings on. Put in Pressure Canner. Let Canner vent 10 minutes. Cook at
10/11 pounds pressure for:

* No meat Beans - 65 minutes for pints

* With meat beans - 75 minutes for pints

I usually don't do quarts, but I would go by the meat bean times listed in the Ball Blue Book for those.

No comments:

Post a Comment